Sunday 20 October 2013

Light the Night

This past year I had devoted a significant amount of my time to assist with organizing the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Light the Night Vancouver walk. The reason behind this commitment was for a close family friend battling multiple myeloma. And I come out of this 9 month long experience feeling privileged to have been part of a wonderful non-profit organization and have met amazing new friends.
Last night as Sharon Pulse, the patient services manager for the Vancouver Leukemia Lymphoma Society, stood on stage and asked us to spend a minute to remember those we had lost to blood cancer and hundreds of golden lanterns stood in the air. It brought goosebumps and overwhelming emotions within me for those who had lost a loved one. It also reminded me of the loved one I lost to pancreatic cancer. But soon after those holding white lanterns celebrating their survival & red lanterns offering their support also held theirs in the air as they commenced their walk to Light the Night.  

We raised $550K for blood cancer research & patient services with a turn out of 2000 + crowd last night. I came out of the event feeling more grateful and privileged. Thank you for your amazing support!

1 comment: