Monday 1 September 2014

Awareness is key - human trafficking

I recently watched the movie Trade reminding me of the reality of human trafficking.

It was disturbing and deeply saddening that women, girls and boys can be purchased and exploited like a commodity. I sat there thinking what can I do? How can I attempt to create change so that perhaps in the future this social issue of perceiving people as entities that can be bought for sexual exploitation can be eradicated?

Here are a few things I came up as small steps towards creating change:

1. Spread awareness - prevent potential victims and deter predators 
2. Support organizations advocating for change in government & law enforcement services
3. Attend fundraising & education events supporting victims.

In British Columbia an organization called REED (Resist Expoloitation Embrace Dignity) does these exact things. Learn more about REED through their website and find out more about how you can make a difference: www.embracedignity.org

No comments:

Post a Comment